Getting ready to go

Summer’s gone and it’s time to head back to Tassie.  Alex has been checking the Predictwind forecasts daily and it’s starting to look like there will be windows available to get to Australia – at least somewhere in NSW, if not directly to Hobart, in the next week or so. 

I (Jackie) took the easy way home, by plane, on Easter Sunday.  Alex, David and Anne continued to prepare the boat and wait for the right weather to leave. 

Passage to Aus: Day 1-2

No pictures today, I'm afraid!  Just a quick update from Alex.  Rusalka's course on Day 1 was NNE across Tasman Bay and Cook Strait, with wind more or less on the beam.  A pod of dolphins escorted the boat out of Nelson - always a good omen! 

Passage to Aus: Day 2

Here’s today’s report from Alex, with a few pictures:

Passage to Aus: Day 3

Last night was still, with glassy seas. This morning there was a very slight low swell and grey skies. 

Passage to Aus: Day 4

The topic of the messages that went back and forth with Rusalka today was “Weather”! 

Passage to Aus: Day 5

Storm Preparations: As Rusalka charges NW trying to get out of the way of the bad weather to come on Mon/Tues, Alex and crew are doing a few things to prepare for the wind and waves. 

Passage to Aus: Day 6

Alex sent in the text for today's blog. They're nearing the halfway mark and getting ready for tonight's bad weather.

Passage to Aus: Day 7

It wasn’t a very nice 24hrs for the crew of Rusalka.  Yesterday afternoon they were punching into 2.5-3m seas, making slow progress SW into 20-25kt WNW winds.  About 6pm NZ time, while having mushroom barley soup for dinner, they crossed the magical “halfway” mark of 162.05E (halfway between Nelson and Eden).

It was quite a wild night. The severe weather was a series of events beginning on Monday afternoon and finishing early Tuesday. The effect of storm meant we could not go on our planned course to Eden due to wind and wave strength and direction that persisted afterwards.

Page 3 of 4


Go to top